Tuesday, June 14, 2016

I Just Can't Even...



If you know me, you know I tend to avoid politics and religion like the plague. And I think that's what they are - plagues. Nothing more than a way to drive otherwise rational, kind, civilized people to madness.


Now, don't misunderstand me, I think as a society there needs to be structure. I also think that religion offers hope and peace and I don't really try very hard not to judge anyone for their religious beliefs.

We can argue over who we think is the best politician to run the government, we can honestly believe we're right, and the candidates may be truly good and decent people (ok, typically this is an untruth about politics, but still..) but what we cannot and MUST NOT do is murder, and hate, and close our minds to the differences in other people and their beliefs or opinions.

Don't you see? That's how they win.

That's how those that hate, those full of anger and self righteousness, that's how they win. Not by killing, not by projecting their emotions and beliefs on us. They win by driving wedges between us. By making us draw lines in the sand, by making us turn on each other.

Everyone thinks they're the good guy.  But in a world where there is good, there must also be evil. One does not exist without the other. We are not strangers to this evil.

I stand with America, I always have, and I always will, even though I do not agree with all of our political decisions. I believe as a country we are inherently good. I also believe it's time to take a stand against this evil that we've come to recognize.

I was sickened when I heard about Orlando's Pulse Nightclub. I don't understand the magnitude of hate one has to have to commit an act like this, and I don't want to. I have read the articles, looked at pictures, listened to videos and newscasts. The LGBT Community had suffered more than enough prejudice and condemnation before June 12th of this year. Pulse was a safe place for them, as all places should have been, and to have a coward commit such an atrocity... I just can't even. 

Here are the victims of this unnecessary atrocity. May their souls now rest peacefully. 

I stand with the LGBT Community, I always have, and I always will, and I am sorry that you continue to face animosity and damnation in your own country. You should be free to love whomever you choose here, in the Land of the Free.  

Whether or not everyone in America believes in the choices of the LGBT community, the Orlando attack occurred in our country and they are our people. If for no other reason, that reason alone is enough to protect them, to band together and fight back. For them. For us. For all of us.

I have hope that someday none of you - of us - will ever have to live in fear of hatred and twisted morals and self righteousness. 

Intolerance, that is the evil in this world. Incapability to love, or at the very least tolerate, others in spite of their differences from you. Hatred is an ugly, wicked thing.

Know that there is none here, from me.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...