Wednesday, March 9, 2016

I Have to Tell You Something, When You Can't Run, & The Human Centipede

First of all, I can't recommend anyone actually watch this shit. That being said, I've seen all three. Presently, I'm watching The Human Centipede III.  I turned it on for background noise, fully expecting it to suck. And then I got sucked in.. to the sickness. It is fucking hilarious! Bill Boss (Dieter Laser) is awesome. Awesome  I tell you! But it still totally sucked.

But don't watch that shit. Seriously. Just don't. It just isn't ok. I'm going to need therapy. 



Here's what I have to tell you: I'm crazy. I'm not a hypochondriac, but I am OCD. Several (I have no clue how many, honestly) years ago, I was diagnosed with PVCs and was told that "If you have to have a heart condition, this is the one to have." Cool. Cool. No biggy. So over the years, these "flutters" have come and gone, gotten worse and better, and I haven't given them much thought. The other night I had some chest pain that went off and on for over 24 hours. It wasn't severe but noticeable, and I finally decided that if I'm going to be training for half/full marathons, I should probably get checked out. 

So today, that's what I did. My EKG was normal. My doctor said he could hear a slight murmur (this is the first I've been told this) and wants me to go get an echocardiogram (never had one) and wear a holter monitor (which I have done before). The Holter sucks - I'm allergic to the electrode pads, but this is a small price if it offers answers this time. Last time, I had no flutters or anything while wearing it. Typical. The echo and Holter are tomorrow.

I had tons of bloodwork: thyroid, electrolytes, magnesium, etc. to check for causes.

I'm hoping for a quick pill-fix, of course.

What does this mean for my running?

Well, right now, it's on hold until I get results. 

If when the echo is peachy, and it's just the same old PVCs, I can take a low dose beta blocker for treatment of the flutters. What does that mean for running? It means I would fail an Olympic drug screen. It would also slow my running ability. No good. I could still run, and chances are I would adapt to the medication and it wouldn't ultimately have a big affect. But still.

The doctor isn't worried, but I of course, have OCD'd on this.

And I've never wanted to run so badly in my life.

At least I got a nice 4-mile run in this morning to hold me over!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...