Sunday, July 20, 2014

No Such Thing As A Bad Run

This is a lie.

Ok, not really. There really isn't such thing as a "bad" run, but there are miserable, painful, boring, slow runs. Afterwards, of course, a mile truly is a mile. You can't appreciate the good runs without enduring the bad.. yeah, yeah.

This morning's run made me happy.. Happy that it's over.

It seemed like the Universe was against me this morning. I had set my alarm for 0455 and 0500. I woke up about 10 minutes before the first alarm went off with a headache. I argued with myself to get out of bed and told myself I'd regret it if I didn't when I was already awake. Somehow I dragged myself out of bed and got dressed, started up my phone (I use mapmyrun on my phone) because if I don't start it up, it doesn't connect in time because my phone is a dinosaur.

Surprise! It didn't want to cooperate (this happens a lot and I can't presently afford a watch or a new phone). I thought, hell with this, it's not worth it (except I used more colorful language.) Right before I gave up, it connected. I'm not sure if I was pleased or pissed. But it was one less excuse, so what was I supposed to do?

My mileage was slower than I like, I had right ankle pain (this is new), and I still had my headache. I wanted to do 6 miles. At 3 miles I felt nauseated and my headache was getting worse. I pushed to mile 4 which I'm certain looked about as pathetic as it felt. The nausea and headache didn't improve, so I stopped at 4 miles. I don't know if it was It probably was dehydration, since I live practically on coffee alone. And as I was walking home the chills began, with some mild dizziness.

And at 65° it was HOT. What's that about?! I felt like I was melting and a glance in the mirror confirmed I looked it too.

Please someone tell me this gets better. I used to run 5 miles minimum every other day, and usually 6-8. I get that I slacked for awhile (6 weeks) and smoked for a bit (7 months) and I accepted that it took a toll on my running. But now I haven't smoked in right over 4 months and while my race speed is up to almost (but not close enough) to what it was previously (my best time is 5k 30:50 and lately averaging 32:30) I still haven't gotten back to where it feels good. Am I broken or is it just taking my Mojo awhile to catch back up?

P.S. I'm presently sitting here, typing, drinking a cup of coffee, and wearing a new pair of Pro Compression calf sleeves. I didn't wear them during my run, but put them on afterwards. They feel fantastic!

How do you deal with crappy runs?

2 comments:

Heather said...

There is absolutely nothing worse than getting back into the swing of things after taking a break. The runs that used to be so easy feel SO hard and you feel like you will never get back to where you were...but you will! You did it once before (when you first started) and you will do it again. Cut yourself some slack and take it nice and easy!! Also...make sure you are hydrating...coffee doesn't count ;)

WhatTheHeckWhyNot?

Chelle Shock said...

Thanks for the encouragement! And what do you mean coffee doesn't count?! ;)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...