Thursday, October 24, 2013

Boots & Daisy Dukes 5k

No, I didn't wear either. Sorry!

This was one of those mornings I woke up early (like, 5:30 a.m. and I worked till 10:30 the night previous) and asked myself, "is it really worth this shit?" I ain't gonna lie, my Mojo is napping these days. I'm not entirely sure what the issue is, but it's been going on awhile. I've been tired, and having sinus headaches, but I know those are just excuses. I know I love to run and I know I feel so much better when I do it.. Ok, after I do it. For those of you that really know me, you understand I'm a bit batshit crazy sometimes. Therefore, running is important.

"Is it really worth this shit?" But I dragged myself out of bed, threw on the clothes I'd laid out the night before, grabbed my bag that I packed the night before (I say "bag" like I was going on a trip. No. It's just part of the routine. Routines are uber important when you're superstitious.) tossed my hair into a ponytail and slipped on my Sweaty Band. I stepped outside. It was blazing effing cold. I expected this, it had snowed the day before - huge snowflakes that would have been beautiful if it hadn't been waaaay too early in the season for me. The snow hadn't stuck, the roads were just fine, it wasn't snowing anymore, but it was cold. Like 34° cold. Yes, I know this is balmy if you're from, say, Canada, and honestly I've run in much colder temperatures (16°! Hey, I know it's not subzero, but it still makes me pretty bad ass. At least in KS!) and I'd really rather run in the cold than the heat. But, remember, I had just gotten up, I was tired and running on not enough sleep, my Mojo was still in bed, I have an hour drive to get to this race, my brain is reciting "is it really worth this shit?!", and I step outside into the Arctic. 

And I went. And I ran. And I met a new friend. And I got a new PR and a finisher's medal. And I got to hang out with Lisa (One Fit Step), who's kids were running the Lil Critter Run, and we walked and talked and it warmed up (a little), and I had a really good time. 

And I'm always happier and more motivated (that sucked! Lets do it again!) after every run. 

Anyway, there wasn't a huge turnout at this race, I assume it was due to the weather. I chose, like always, someone starting a bit ahead of me to stalk keep up with and maybe even pass, through the duration of the race. I saw the "Woman in the Light Blue Jacket" for approximately 30 seconds after the horn sounded. I suck at stalking moving targets. So I ran along, passing a few, getting passed by a few....more. About halfway into the race, I realized I was maintaining pace with the woman beside me and we started up a conversation. At the tail end of the race, she said, "we're gonna finish this together!" and we did - her finishing at one second ahead of my time. We high-fived and we talked a bit after the race, and said we'd probably see each other again. She left while I stayed to meet up with Lisa

I love running. I even love runners. This is a community I wish I'd been a part of many years before I did. I've never met a rude runner. That's not to say they don't exist, of course, but even the super fast folks that pass you at the beginning of a race and then pass you on the way back wave and offer encouragement. That may be mockery, but I choose to think that instead of thinking, "what a slow ass!" they're thinking "what a bad ass!"

Whatever. I digress. Boots & Daisy Dukes was a lot of fun and I'll totally do it again. 

Here's my Finish Line picture. 
Remember, there's no judging here.


I'm not sure how I manage to - in every race picture - wind up with a what the fuck was I doing pose. In this case, I can only assume I was floating. Oh, and I really don't have that fabulous hourglass figure this image hints at. Or do I? 

You Are You. Now, Isn't That Pleasant? 
- Dr. Suess -

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...